Absolute increase or Decrease misconception: I saw that many are assuming absolute increase/decrease

Discussion in 'SSC' started by Santosh Choudhary, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Santosh Choudhary

Santosh Choudhary New Member

Absolute increase or Decrease misconception: I saw that many are assuming absolute increase/decrease means one should use the function ABS() in excel. But I feel it is wrong to assume that. The meaning of absolute is differently used in different circumstances (There are multiple meanings). In all government reports, they use "absolute inc/dec" in place "inc/dec" (Absolute is mentioned specifically here to say that inc/dec is not 'relative' but it's 'absolute') PFB a snapshot of 12th FYP table.

2. Santosh Choudhary

Santosh Choudhary New Member

But in case of ssc cpt absolute means we have to use ABS fun

3. Navneet Kumar

Navneet Kumar New Member

Hi, I don't think that's an ambiguity, this has been a big misconception I believe which got strengthened over the years as no one opposed it. No where on internet, you can find absolute increase decrease means, that it's positive value. And it applies the same to CPT as well. I would be happy if anyone can find in any report on internet that absolute increase/decrease means we need to use ABS function.

4. Ankur Sodhi

Ankur Sodhi Member

so what's the correct usage ? shall we use ABS() or not ?

5. Navneet Kumar

Navneet Kumar New Member

@Navneet Kumar In my mock test, they told me not to use ABS(). P.S. I took mock test from Dablyu and they are corrected by previous evaluators of SSC CGL CPT. So, I guess I can trust them

6. Ankur Sodhi

Ankur Sodhi Member

Tell me about absolute percentage increase decrease also , which formula to be used ?

7. Navneet Kumar

Navneet Kumar New Member

It's plain (A-B) for absolute inc/dec and ([A-B] /A x 100) for percentage increase or decrease

8. Yogesh Khawskar

Yogesh Khawskar New Member

No, I am not talking about the existence of absolute function. There is absolute value in maths. I am saying that whenever a table asks for absolute inc/dec, it means just inc/dec with +/- sign

9. Rashmi Roy

Rashmi Roy New Member

I don't think so.... SSC is evaluating your knowledge of excel and its functions and using ABS function makes more sense for the question.... Otherwise for sum you can simply add on paper and type the ans in the cell, it will be technically correct too if its not mentioned that you have to use sum function.... And absolute means that sign is ignored